What are informational interviews?
- Find people in your network. Use LinkedIn, Handshake, or your friends/family to find people who are doing something you might want to do in the future!
- Invite them to coffee, suggest several time options, and make the meeting convenient for them by suggesting meeting in their office, or a coffee shop nearby
- Show up on time and dress professionally.
- Ask great questions. Think of 5-10 questions you might want to ask someone in that field. Hear their story and be curious.
- Send a thank you email and handwritten card.
- Your new contact is now part of your network. Be sure to connect on LinkedIn, stay in touch, and foster these relationships
Informational interviews are ways to get to know a person in your field of interest. Here are a few steps to make this happen: